Indiana Field Trip IdeasThough these field trips are in Indiana, they make great ideas for field trips in your home state or great ideas for places to visit while on a vacation. If you are looking for Indiana Field Trips, leave a note in the comments, and we'll share more fun ideas. Tried and true. Enjoy!
|Field Trips in Indiana.|
Field trips are an excellent way to connect student learning to the world outside of school. Gaining knowledge is the goal of the educational process. However, when gaining that knowledge mainly takes place in the classroom and from books, it can seem disconnected from the purpose of that knowledge.
The purpose, of course, is to prepare the student for success as a grown-up. Part of that preparation should be helping the students understand why and how gaining knowledge is going to aid them in their future when they are grown and on their own. The better they understand why their education matters, the more likely they are to be engaged in the learning process.
What kind of field trips are out there? Where can you take students that will help them grasp how what they are learning in class is going to be integral to their success as an adult? The following is a list of fun trips that are in or nearby Indianapolis. The links provided take you to the website where you can find information about the educational opportunities that are offered.
- Exotic Feline Rescue Center – Located in Center Point, IN, it is located just over an hour away from Indianapolis. It offers classroom presentations at grade level, with fun and interactive materials. Field trips include a walking tour of the facility, which covers around 20 acres. Phone: 812-835-1130.
- Trader’s Point Creamery – On the northwest side of Indianapolis, Trader’s Point Creamery is a working farm which specializes in grass fed cattle. They offer tours year round which include viewing the milking process. Phone: 317-733-1700
- Waterman’s Farm, Raymond St. Location - A great fall destination for pumpkin picking and other Halloween activities. In June, they offer strawberry picking field trips. During summer, field trips are customized to your group’s specific interests. Phone 317-357-2989
- Kelsay Farms – Located 30 minutes south of Indianapolis, in New Whiteland, IN. Kelsay Farms is a working dairy farm that offers tours that last about 2 hours. Children learn about milking, feeding, and caring for dairy cows. Phone: 317-535-4136
- United States District Court – A trip to a courthouse offers kids a chance to learn about history, law, civics and government. The Southern District Court offers and opportunity for kids to interact with a judge, provided the tour is booked early enough in advance. Phone: 317-229-3792
- McCloud Nature Park – This Hendricks County Park offers field trip opportunities on a variety of topics. Rocks, Insects, Birds, Maple Syrup and Geomorphology are just some of the subject matter from which to choose. Phone: 765-676-5437
- Fire Station Tour, Town of Plainfield – Since most kids love fire trucks Fire Station fieldtrips are a big hit. The Town of Plainfield offers Fire House Tours where kids can learn about the day to day routines of fire fighters and the equipment that they operate. Phone: 317-839-6939 x18
- West Central Conservancy – Learn how waste water is treated at Avon’s West Central Conservancy. This fieldtrip shows how science is used to make the world a cleaner place. Phone: 317-272-3944
Eagle Creek Park
Magic School Bus Electric Field Trip*
Conner Prairie Interactive History Park
Spring Mill State Park
Field Trip to Niagara Falls
Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum
For more ideas see our Homeschool Projects page.
ADS DISCLOSURE: We've partnered with some wonderful advertisers who may sponsor blog posts or send us samples to test. Some companies pay us to review their products. *We also use affiliate links, if you make a purchase we get a tiny commission. Kids Creative Chaos participates in the Amazon LLC Associates Program*, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a mean for blogs to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon properties, including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com. We also offer Chitika, Google Adsense, and Social Spark ads here. Thanks so much for helping us keep the lights on! :)