Turkey Shepherd's Pie Recipe EasyShepherd's Pie is traditionally made with lamb, hence the term "shepherd". However, this version of Shepherd's Pie uses ground turkey. It also replaces the more expensive Irish cheeses with a mixture of sharp cheddar and Parmesan. This recipe is more kid-friendly than Corned Beef and Cabbage and makes an excellent addition to your St. Patrick's Day feast. Enjoy!
*This post contains affiliate links for your convenience.
|Easy Shepherd's Pie Recipe with Turkey.|
Easy Turkey Shepherd's Pie Recipe
1 T cooking oil
1 onion, chopped
1 lb. ground turkey
3 T flour
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 t rosemary
1/2 t paprika
1/8 t cinnamon
1 T ketchup
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c beef broth or 1 c water with 1 t beef bouillon
6 oz. frozen peas and carrots, thawed
2 lb. potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 T butter
pinch cayenne pepper
2 T cream cheese
4. oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and ground turkey. Cook until meat is browned and onion is tender.
3. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, rosemary, paprika, and cinnamon until well incorporated. Mix in the ketchup. Add the garlic and cook 2-3 minutes.
4. Stir in broth or water and bouillon. Reduce heat to low. Simmer mixture, with stirring, until thickened.
5. Remove from heat and add peas and carrots.
6. Transfer mixture to a 1 qt. casserole and set aside.
7. Boil potatoes in a large pot of boiling water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well.
8. Mash potatoes. Add butter, cayenne pepper, cream cheese and milk. Mash until smooth. Stir in cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese.
9. Top the meat mixture with the mashed potatoes, spreading evenly.
10. Bake uncovered in the preheated oven 30 minutes or until the potatoes are golden.
|Mashed Potato Topping on St. Patrick's Day Shepherd's Pie.|
|Shepherd's Pie Saint Patrick's Day Recipe.|