6 Going Green Activities for Kids
Whether you call it Fall or Autumn, the cooler weather is a great time to go green and focus on eco friendly kid activities. Going green isn't just about sustainability or recycling, it is also a great way to be eco friendly. When you use items from nature in games and craft projects, you're going green! Take the kids on a nature hike, collect twigs, leaves, and rocks and then start creating win the found materials. We've curated five beautiful and fun eco friendly activities to do with the kids that will make beautiful gifts or home decorations for fall. As always, don't forget to make it an educational experience with a companion lesson. We've included a few for you.
Whenever we do a craft, we like to pair it with a lesson. The eco friendly kid activities listed here are perfect companion craft activities for a lesson on the environment. After your nature hike, teach the kids about sustainability, going green, and even climate change. Adrian Rubin has great articles that are perfect for high schoolers or college students to read on their own. For middle school or older elementary students, the articles, like this one on climate change and red tide, make good read alouds. Check out NASA for more in depth articles and lesson plans on global climate change.
6 Eco Friendly Kid Activities
- One of our fellow bloggers and favorite crafters, is Maggie, from Red Ted Art. She created a beautiful leaf lantern that is the perfect fall eco friendly kid activity.
|Eco Friendly Leaf Lanterns from Red Ted Art.|
After you hike and create your leaf lantern activity, watch this Global Warming Climate Change video from Brainpop. If you're a teacher or homeschool parent, you'll love that you can create your own quiz or find lesson ideas here.
- Colleen from Raising Lifelong Learners, offers up an ideal going green eco friendly kid activity with these evergreen wreath craft. Click over to see how she incorporates STEM/STEAM lessons with activity. You might also like our Autumn Leaf Wreath How to Activity.
|Evergreen Wreath Activity from Raising Lifelong Learners.|
- Over on the Melissa & Doug blog, we found an eco friendly alphabet kid activity that is perfect for preschoolers. On your nature hike, collect smooth, flat rocks and bring them inside to create alphabet rocks. The next time you go out, place them along the path in alphabetical order to help your little one learn their ABCs.
|Alphabet Rock Walk from Melissa & Doug.|
- We have a fun eco friendly mystery bag activity for a nature hike.
|Collect items on a nature hike for a mystery bag activity.|
- Now that you've collected all those nature items for your mystery bag activity, use some twigs and walnut or hickory nut shells to make your own eco friendly nature tic tac toe game.
|Make an eco friendly tic tac toe game from found objects.|
- All kids like to pick up twigs. They make great swords, don't they? They also make cool eco friendly crafts, like the Christmas Tree ornaments pictured below. Collect the twigs in the fall and gift the eco friendly ornaments during the holidays.
|Eco friendly kid made holiday decorations.from Kids Creative Chaos.|
For more eco friendly kid activities and sustainable ideas check out our Pinterest board on Art and Craft Activities for Kids.
Eco Friendly Kids Products on Amazon (affiliate link)